These soap nuts are a fruit that grows on the Sapindus tree, is valued for having cleansing properties.
When in contact with water, a natural surfactant will be release which creates mild suds that cleans your clothes and your household. Once you have yielded the concentrated Soap Nut Liquid, you can use it like how you would use a detergent.
These nuts are organically certified and originate from the Himalayan region, from the highest quality of species, the Sapindus Mukorossi. All of them are organic and ECOCERT Certified. Each purchase will come with an electronic booklet which full details on how to use it.
To us, there is a certain smell to it. But don’t worry! It goes away after washing.
Moisture free is key when storing the nuts. Store them in an air-tight container to prevent moisture from getting to them. And store them in a cool place away from sunlight.
If moisture gets to the nuts, they will become a little more sticky and gummy. With age, the nuts will turn to a darker brown shade. But the cleaning power remains and it continues to cleanse well.
Do not use it to wash your white shirt as it will slowly turn yellowish.
How to Use
Method 1 – Preparing Soap Nut Liquid
- Soak the 15 Soap Nuts in 1 litre of water for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove Soap Nuts and let them air dry, pour the Soap Nut Liquid into a bottle
- The Liquid can be kept for up to a week and can be used for 5 loads of laundry
- For a load of 5kg to 7kg, pour 200 ml of Soap Nut Liquid in the detergent compartment of the washing machine or directly on the clothes.
- Select the washing cycle and start the machine.
Method 2 – Adding Soap Nuts Directly Into Your Washing Machine
- Place 6 to 8 nuts into a small cotton bag
- Soak them in a bowl full of hot water for at least 15 min
- Toss the Soap Nut liquid and the cotton bag of Soap Nuts into the washing machine with clothes and start washing cycle. (Note: Please remove Soap Nuts during rinse cycle)
- Once the cycle is complete, remove soap nuts and let it air-dry. You can re-use the soap nuts for your next 1 batch of laundry. Top up with new shells if desired.
Do note that Soap Nut might not remove stubborn stain very well. In this case, you have to pre-treat your stains with a stain remover with a normal soap bar or washing soda.
Store the soap nut liquid for up to 1 to 2 weeks if kept in an airtight container or bottle. Store the liquid in the fridge for up to a year if left unopened.
The nuts can be reused up to 1 to 2 times.
The Himalayan Region
End of Life Treatment